Sunday, June 25, 2006

mas

23-Jun-06

Hola! Que tal? Bien?  Lo siento mi amores, I know I said I wouldn't speak in Spanish but now I am even having trouble remembering words in English and I have only been here 2 ½ days!  It's crazy right?  Some of my Spanish is coming back wonderfully, but not all of it.  I guess that will take some more time.

I'm not sure if the other email I typed out the other day made it or not, so if it didn't I will try and repost it today.  The internet place, AKA Hondutel, is very slow and we were having problems with almost every single computer in the place, a total of about 9.  There is another internet place called MayaVision, hopefully that is where I will be sending my emails from, but to call someone I go to the other place, because it is 1 limperia cheaper, even though that does not translate to a lot of dollars, I have to live off of 50 limperias a day, which is about $2.50.  Good luck right?  Well we have all our meals prepared for us, so there is very little that I can see right now that I have to pay for, besides snacks, internet and phone.  I have a feeling that we are going to be allowed to go to Teguc soon though, because yesterday I got lost when I left Hondutel to walk back to my house with another aspirante (that's what they call the trainees) and ended up at a PCVs house, Adam is actually one of our trainers right now, but there were a bunch of PCVs there and I kind of got the feeling that we will be allowed to go down there eventually.

Not much has happened since the last update I typed.  Today we got our first dose of vaccines, I got an MMR and a Polio booster, because apparently you need another of both once you are an adult.  Lo que, they paid for it, right?  Also we had a bunch of free time to fill out paper work and have our medical interviews, during our free time there was optional Spanish classes, so of course I went to those, but they were a lot of fun.  We played games and just got to ask questions in general.  This learning is nothing like being in a class at a university because this is survival Spanish, you know?  If you don't know how to say you don't want something or you can't eat it or you need to go somewhere, you're SOL. 

            Tomorrow I have my placement language interview, to graduate from training and become a volunteer you have to be at the intermediate level of language comprehension.  There are four levels and 4 groups in the first 3 levels.  Monday we will find out what level we are placed into and then we go from there.  The trainers have been really great about keeping us informed about what we going to happen and what we need to do, they constantly ask if we need any help and are very approachable, which makes the transition that much easier.

            OK, even though its only 9:30 here I am going to end now because I want to keep some of my computer battery life for later.  The host families asked that the trainees not charge their laptops at home, so we have to bring them to the school to charge.  Tomorrow we are also having a party later with all of our families after school around 5 with dancing (!) so that should be fun!!!  I also have to read some stuff for class tomorrow and in general in case I have any questions.  As always you can email me and I will get back to you personally: bridgetfrench@gmail.com.  Hope everyone is doing great, I am for the most part!


--------------------------------------------------------------------

   I'm at the internet place now, I meant to send this one out yesterday but it was raining and because of that the phones and the internet was down, I asked if it was a storm and I was told it wasn't so I could only imagine was a storm looks like here.  The party was fun the food was kind of potluck style and Heidi and I thought for sure we'd both be sick today but we're not.  Three people have gotten sick already and had to go down to the capital to go to a hospital, the good news is they are all ok, but one of them is going home already, he was in my project.  Triste.  But this isn't for everyone and I guess they are figureing it out slowly.  Tomorrow I found out what language level I am at, I had an interview on Saturday. Today I am going to the market in town and  to look at the flower ladies flowers, the other day we walked down to 2 futbol fields, they were amazing but my camera died so I'm going to try and take pictures today.  I'l try and send a few out.  Like always, comments, questions, and love email me and I will write you back personally.  Also if you know someone that wants to be added let me know and I will afix them to my list!

PC amor -

   Bridget

PS – if anyone has any suggestions for a better way to introduce myself let me know, everyone is having a hard time with Bridget.  



--
Bridget Kathleen French
954.650.5084

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home